Sunday 26 March 2017

North Wales with a couple of Canon 5D2

We went for a long weekend in North Wales recently, mainly to catch up with some old friends, but with a decent weather forecast it was an opportunity to do some shooting for pleasure.

Camera-wise I only have the two 5D2 now, the Fuji having been sold end of 2016.

When I lived in North Wales in the late 70s/early 80s I was aware of many of the the locations now so popular on the internet, but lacked the wherewithal to buy a decent camera to photograph them, so I decided that this trip I would get around to capturing an image of them, even if it is 35 years too late.

The good weather obviously gave other like-minded photographers the same idea as the first two locations I visited we were queuing to get the our tripods in the right position!

While waiting I took the opportunity to see what others were shooting with. Every other shooter had a DSLR, no mirrorless in sight, and those DSLRs were either Canon or Nikon with Canon being the most prevalent by far. Almost all were APS-C. And everyone had a 10 stop ND of some description, except me. I'm not a huge fan of the "milky water" landscape; probably because like HDR its been done so much I'm sick of seeing it. However for the tree in the lake image softening the water is probably a good thing. I had to improvise so stacked three ND filters to try to blur the lake. It sort of worked.

I also took the opportunity to try out the raw editing on Lightroom Mobile connection the 5D2 to my iPhone and iPad with the Apple USB camera kit and posting images to Facebook almost immediately after taking them. This worked really well.

All images processed in Lr CC as usual.

Canon 5D2 Canon 20mm f2.8 USM

Canon 5D2 Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L USM IS

Canon 5D2 Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L USM IS

Canon 5D2 Canon 20mm f2.8 USM

Canon 5D2 Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L USM IS

Canon 5D2 Canon 20mm f2.8 USM

Canon 5D2 Canon 20mm f2.8 USM



2 comments:

  1. A stunning collection of photographs from the weekend. Definitely ones for the portfolio. Only one suggestion (if I may) ... I'd correct the converging verticals on the penultimate image. I think the convergence detracts from an otherwise powerful composition. Just a thought! Happy to be told to mind my own business if you wish! S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simon, see the next post, i've corrected the perspective in that image. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete