Monday 16 February 2015

Fuji X-Pro1, Fujinon XF14mm f2.8, Fujinon XF18-55mm f2.8-4 OIS

It has arrived. DPD delivered my Fuji X-Pro1, Fujinon XF14mm and Fujinon XF18-55mm lenses.

I bought these in a part-ex deal with MBP Photographic and as usual they are in as new condition.

The X1-Pro body came in the original box with the manuals, strap and USB cable still factory sealed.
The lenses were not in their original boxes but are completely unmarked and blemish free.

I had to update the camera and the 18-55mm to the latest Firmware, the body was one version behind, while the lens was still on v1.00, which leads me to think that it has probably never been used. The 14mm was up to date.


I still have my Leica Elmarit and took the opportunity to compare the build quality to the Fujinon lenses before I send that to MBP.


To me, the build quality of the Fujinon lenses is every bit as good as that of the Leica, if not a little better in some areas, around the mount for example the Fujinon being very precise. The quality of the aperture markings is every bit as fine as it is on the Leica lens.


I don't have the Leica M8 anymore so a direct comparison can't be made, but I am very familar with the Leica M8, M9, M (240) and Monochrom and to me the Fuji X1-Pro is every bit as well put together. The Fuji dials have a better click to the increments than my M8 did and the paint and general fit and finish is every bit as good. What impresses me is the attention to detail Fuji have taken with this camera, everything feels just right, its easier to hold than a Leica M, and things like Ultrasonic sensor cleaning make a big difference, my M8 was a bugger for dust on the sensor. The menu system is also a lot faster than the M8 and Monochrom that I've used.


I hope to be giving it a test this weekend (weather permitting) so will report back once I've got some images to show. In the meantime I could not resist giving it a try in the house.



Fuji X-Pro1, Fujinon XF14mm f 2.8 shot in iPad.


One of my daughters paintings Fuji x Pro1, 18-55mm 3200 ISO
The above image was taken handheld under light from energy saving bulbs, I developed it in the supplied Fuji RAW developer App. I think its pretty impressive.
It appears that all lens correction is embedded into the RAW file and applied by the developer App.


Fuji x Pro1, 18-55mm 3200 ISO shot under tungsten light
The above image is a jpeg straight out of the Fuji x Pro1, I have applied nothing in the way of sharpening or correction, it has only been re-sized in Ps.


Fuji x Pro1, 18-55mm 3200 ISO shot under tungsten light, Developed in Lr.
I tried a development of the Fuji RAW file (.RAF) in Lr, my App of choice for Post Processing,  I converted to B+W, adjusted the black and highlights, applied some Detail and a vignette.


No comments:

Post a Comment