Sunday 22 February 2015

York Cemetery with Fuji X Pro-1

Well, the weekend has arrived and I was looking forward to taking the X Pro-1 out for its first outside shoot.
Saturday was a decent day, blue sky, dramatic clouds but unfortunately I had other appointments so could not get out.
Sunday arrived and as I looked out of the window it looked dry at least, overcast, but dry.

By the time I got the chance to go out it was looking like rain, 15 minutes after I got to York Cemetery the rain arrived and pretty much stopped play.

I did manage to get some frames shot with the X Pro-1, I even managed one with the 14mm.

Light was poor so no modelling visible and with Auto ISO selected I was shooting no lower than 320 ISO, I was thankful for the OIS on the 18-55mm.

Out of camera the images looked pretty flat due to the poor light, but processed in Lr using the Sieff Early DSLR Guru preset as a starting point it was possible to salvage some moody images, which reflected the weather quite well.

I have tried the Silkypix RAW converter supplied with the camera, and its OK, but to me it looks like the v5.7 of Lr has got it pretty much spot on, I couldn't tell the difference between them so stuck with Lr as its what I know. Maybe dedicated pixel-peepers would point out differences but I'm not into that.


Fuji X Pro-1, Fujinon XF 18-55mm

Fuji X Pro-1, Fujinon XF 18-55mm

Fuji X Pro-1, Fujinon XF 18-55mm

Fuji X Pro-1, Fujinon XF 14mm
I'm still not used to shooting with the Fuji yet, this being the first time out, but first impressions are good. I didn't find myself pressing the Quick Menu button by mistake as many others have said they did, and the AF was quick and accurate. More importantly the battery didn't give out in the cold!
For the 14mm image I used a Manfrotto Pixi tripod. I like this little tripod, its easy to used had a good secure ball head built in and fits in my Billingham bag easily. What I didn't like is that Fuji have put the tripod mount off-centre. A positive is that it is secured by four screws. I'll have to investigate the grip options for the X Pro-1.

No comments:

Post a Comment